Hi there! I am a PhD candidate in the Department of Government at Harvard University. My research is broadly situated at the intersection of political behavior, comparative political economy, and applied statistics. Specifically, I study the underlying causal drivers of increasing fragmentation in European societies, with a special focus on immigration, xenophobia and inequality. Methodologically, I specialize in quasi-experimental research designs to draw causal inferences from observational data.
At Harvard, I am affiliated with the Institute for Quantitative Social Science, the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, and the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies. I am also affiliated with the Transformations of Democracy research group at the WZB Berlin Social Science Center. I hold masters degrees in Statistics (2020) and International Relations (2017).
In autumn 2022, I will join Nuffield College at the University of Oxford as a Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellow.
Freedom of Movement Restrictions Inhibit the Psychological Integration of Refugees (with Hanno Hilbig). Forthcoming, The Journal of Politics.
- World War I, Nationalism, and the Rise of the Nazi Party (with Felix Haass, Alexander De Juan, Carlo Koos, and Thomas Tichelbaecker). R&R, American Political Science Review.
Out-group Threat and Xenophobic Hate Crimes — Evidence of Local Intergroup Conflict Dynamics between Immigrants and Natives (with Daniel Bischof and Markus Wagner). R&R, The Journal of Politics.
Media Monopolies Increase Misperceptions about Immigration: Evidence from German Local Newspapers (with Hanno Hilbig).
- Local Newspaper Decline and Political Polarization in Multi-Party Systems (with Fabio Ellger, Hanno Hilbig, and Philipp Tillmann).
- Refugee Labor Market Access Increases Support for Migration (with Anselm Hager and Hanno Hilbig).
- Natural Disasters and Green Party Support (with Hanno Hilbig).
- After the Genocide: Proximity to Victims and Support for Transitional Justice (with Volha Charnysh).
- Inequality and Xenophobia
Work in Progress
- Electoral Effects of Local Exposure to Refugees (with Jeremy Ferwerda).
- The Gendered Effects of Authoritarian Indoctrination -- Evidence from a Regression Kink Design (with Nourhan Elsayed, Hanno Hilbig, and Daniel Ziblatt).
This website uses the GitHub Pages minimal theme, and is inspired by Shiro Kuriwaki's website.